Sunday, March 11, 2007

Moss stitch scarf


My mother's scarf is finished, and is ready to post to her. The shawl I gave her last week was taken out for dinner the same day, so obviously went down well. Apologies for the headless mother shot to those of a nervous disposition - I haven't quite worked out how to blur part of a photo in my software.

With two gifts out of the way, I started the Sunrise Circle jacket that has been beckoning to me for months. I'm really intrigued by the circular shaping on this jacket, and like it so much that for once I am happy to knit a garment in flat pieces. I read up on the Sunrise Circle KAL before I started, so knew that I should start by knitting a front rather than the back. I swatched with trepidation, as I had read that some people struggled with the row gauge. To my surprise, mine was spot on. I think the issue could be how the yarn is substituted. I am using Debbie Bliss Aran Tweed which looks like it has a very similar texture and weight to the pattern yarn, Karabella Tweed. I think I would have got a different result with a softer, more lofty yarn. I like working with the Aran Tweed. Although it feels rough on the ball, it's not hard on the hands, and produces a strong, dense fabric.


DH is convinced I am knitting an elephant.

1 comment:

DDKK said...

Lovely scarf,and I like the look of the Sunrise Circle Jacket. But what news of the Finn sweater? The second sleeve of the Curse's cardy is almost done, I'm right behind you!!