Saturday, July 26, 2008


The ribwarmer is moving on well, despite the unseasonal nature of the project. I'm working on the second side, which is going faster than the first side which required plenty 0f ripping and re-knitting. The first thing I didn't realise was that the width of the piece was almost exactly the same as the dyeing repeat length, which gave weird pooling effects. I ripped and reknit using alternating balls to break up the sequence. I also tried to be clever and use wrapping on the short rows, only to realise that this gave an ugly reverse side, which was no use as I needed reversible pieces. I ripped that back and went for the simpler EZ method of short rows with no wrap, which worked just fine.

Pattern alterations made were to reduce the armhole depth to 8" which has the side effect of reducing the body length too, and to knit the short rows in front to give a less curved bottom edge.

The yarn is working well with the pattern too. I originally bought it to make a sweater, but was disappointed with the colour and texture when it arrived, as the colour mix was too strong and the yarn loosely spun. However, it's perfect for a fluffy, bulky ribwarmer and is knitting up nicely.

I've also started a lace shawl using more of the bamboo tape yarn. This is the first time I've knitted lace from written instructions rather than a chart, and it's much less intuitive and harder to learn the pattern. It works as long I can concentrate without interruptions, and the lace pattern looks good with the variegated yarn.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Casting on again

I bought loads of bamboo tape in the John Lewis sale, and immediately cast on for this Sirdar pattern top. The bamboo is lovely to knit with, although I'm a bit worried by the flashing.

I also cast 0n for an EZ ribwarmer to use some stash yarn, and because I was intrigued by the construction. I've turned both corners on the first half and I'm knitting up the back.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Felting Adventure

As well as completing Evie, I knuckled down to the Adventure bag, and completed the main body of the bag. I did have a bit of a problem when I felted the bag before picking up stitches and knitting a tab, but managed to force my needle through the felted loops. I've hit a problem with the straps now. The bag is huge, so needs a sturdy strap to sling over the shoulder. The icord suggested in the pattern seems too weak and will stretch lengthwise. I'm thinking of possibly adding a chain strap, but it doesn't really go with the felted fabric. Any ideas?

Buying a long enough (30") zipper is also a challenge - John Lewis only carries a couple of colours in that length.

I did put this in a zipped bag to felt it, but I still have fibres everywhere.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rediscovering Evie

After my UFO investigations, I decided to be disciplined and pull out a couple of them. First up Evie. I'd reached the point where I knew I wanted to change the neckline, but couldn't face the maths to do so. This week I printed off some knitters' graph paper, and drew up the pattern neckline. Then all I needed to do was draw a curve to show my new neckline, square it up and translate into knittable instructions.

It was easy, and I should have done it sooner. The maths involved was pretty minimal. I retained the short row shaping style, but just lowered the front neckline. I used a three needle bind off for the shoulders, and voila!

Overall, I didn't particularly enjoy knitting this, and the outcome is ok, but not very special. Still another finished object, and suitable for the current season.