Sunday, March 04, 2007

Explaining the geek code

So what does the code mean? I read this Knitty article, which describes how to summarise your knitting preferences in a computer type code. The letters relate to particular knitting attributes such as techniques or materials, and the plus or minus signs indicate a liking or aversion with the number of signs showing the strength of feeling.


Type of knitter




  • KCR+++
    I am an obsessive right handed knitter who knits in the continental style. Knitting is taking over my life.

  • Exp+
    I've been knitting for just over a year, and consider myself an intermediate knitter

  • SPM+
    My stitches per minute speed is respectable, especially on the knit stitch


Needles


  • Addi++ Den Steel- Bam+ Brittany++ Rose Cas?
    I love Addi Turbos, and buy them for new projects. I'm amassing a collection, but they're too expensive to buy the whole lot in one go.
    I also like Denise interchangeables for their ability to give you just the size you need, and the fact that you can increase or decrease the length of the needle mid-project.
    I don't get on well with regular steel needles. I find them cold, heavy and hard on the hands.
    I like bamboo needles with slippery yarns, and I love the tiny Brittany birch needles for socks.
    I have a couple of pairs of rosewood needles. I like their beautiful polished surface, but they are a bit heavy and chip easily. I probably won't buy more.
    I've never tried casein needles, but I'm curious. Seems kind of weird, but I'm ready to give it a go.

Yarn


  • Stash +++
    OK, I have way too much yarn. My stash is overflowing. I don't have a LYS, but make up for it buying masses online. I'm looking to extend my stash into my sister's apartment... Buying yarn is therapy.

  • Wool+++
    What's not to like about wool? It's warm, soft, smells good, elastic, easy on the hands, durable, it comes from cute sheep in a million different colours.

  • Lux++
    I like a little luxury in my stash, and have camel, alpaca, silk and cashmere. I'd love some yak, musk ox and quiviut, but haven't found it yet.

  • Hemp?
    Curious about hemp, but it's quite expensive so haven't dived in yet.

  • Cot
    Cotton has it's place. Not my favourite fibre, but good for certain projects.

  • Nov--
    Novelty- I really don't like eyelash or chenille yarns. I'm not averse to a little texture or glitter, but all in moderation, and linked to a natural fibre.

  • Syn-
    Yes, I am a fibre snob. Again, I can take some polyester or nylon in a blend for durability, but it's got to be a minimum of 50% natural fibre, preferably 100%! Ok, I could live with the odd glitter thread.


Techniques



  • Scale+
    I like a mixture of smaller and larger projects. It's satisfying to finish the small ones, but there are some gorgeous sweater patterns I want to make.

  • Fin-(-)
    I abhor seaming, and will do almost anything to adapt a pattern to knit it in the round. I'm OK at various cast on/offs, and matched increases and decreases though. I just want the project to be finished when I finish knitting. I'm not here to sew.

  • Ent?
    Entrelac left me cold, until I saw a pattern for a lovely cushion in this month's Simply Knitting. It's gone on the wish list, but I haven't tried it yet.

  • FI
    Fair isle is ok in moderation if I want a particular effect

  • Int-
    I'm scared of intarsia

  • Tex+
    Texture is great. Cables are the knitter's best kept secret - so easy, but so impressive.

  • Lace
    I like the thought of lace projects, but somehow never seem to follow through. My amazing lace project from last summer is still languishing. Too complicated. Doesn't stop me buying aspirational laceweight wool though.

  • Felt+@
    I like felting, and am particularly pleased with my Noro bag. I think this particular interest may ebb and flow, hence the @ sign - not a particularly fixed interest

  • Circ+++
    Circular knitting - definitely! Will adapt patterns to do this. Never steeked, but can't be far off.

  • Flat-
    Some things have to be done in the flat, but I'm not a purl fan.

  • C2N 5DPN ML-
    Small diameter circular knitting - I use two circular needles for sleeves, and 5 DPNs for socks. I tried magic loop but found it awkward.



General


  • Swatch-
    A necessary evil


  • KIP+
    Knitting in public - on trains, on platforms, in pubs - yes!

  • Blog +
    Well you know about that one!

  • SNB++
    I love my SnB group, and they've become good friends


  • EZ
    Elizabeth Zimmerman - I like her style and have two of her books. I agree with her about the purl stitch. Haven't really tackled her patterns yet though.


  • FO +
    Not bad, list is in the sidebar


  • WIP +
    Lots of work in progress. I like to have different projects on the go at the same time.


  • UFO +
    Even more of these!


  • Gauge W
    I like knitting worsted best, as it grows quickly but the finished objects don't look like speed knits.


Well, that's a pretty comprehensive list of my knitting habits. Hard to believe all that can be compressed into the few lines of code; I think it's quite a fun trick.

No comments: