Tuesday, March 04, 2008

One day wonder

I've been thinking about what pattern to use for a scarf from my Blue Heron cotton rayon, and started to swatch some ideas. I tried the Yarn Harlot's one row scarf, but the pattern was lost in the textured yarn, and it looked too dense. I tried a crochet mesh, but that was too open and holey. Finally, I tried a double crochet with scallops sample and that was just right!



Sunday was a busy day, but with lots of waiting around, so a perfect time to tackle the scarf. I used a 8mm hook and just chained until I had over 5 feet of length. Unfortunately I tackled a small portion in the dark, and only noticed the resulting weird curve a couple of rows later, so had a lot of frogging to do. The final scarf is 5 rows of dc plus an all round scallop edging. The only really difficult part was making the scallops into the chained edge; it was tough to insert the hook into the chain, and my hands still hurt today!



I think the end result was worth it. It's very satisfying to find the right pattern for a yarn with lots of personality. I'm hoping the yarn will be soft enough for my neck as it doesn't contain any animal fibres.

No comments: