Friday, January 04, 2008

Two at a time

The tilted duster is working up nicely. I've been listening to the Ready, Set, Knit podcast episodes with this project as a knitalong, and have been following the modifications and techniques suggested there.
That means I've tried three new techniques or ideas already! Not bad for the 4th of Jan.

  1. Spit splice - sounds gruesome, but really works easily on the Peruvia. I wasn't going to do this, but found a knot in the yarn when I was at the end of the row, and rather than tink back then weave in the yarn, I thought I'd give spit splicing a go.
  2. Sloped shoulder bind off - I had heard about this on the same podcast several months ago, but had never tried it. Easy, and it really does smooth out the stair steps.
  3. Knitting two pieces at the same time - Trying this on the two fronts. Not loving it, but that's mostly because the shaping is complex in this pattern, and trying to keep track of what to do on both pieces simultaneously, particularly when you shape on the wrong side for one piece, and the right side for the other, is tricky. I also forget whether I've knitted across one or both pieces, and when to turn the work. I've found a good way over this now; I've put a green locking stitch marker on my right piece, and a red one on the left piece. Port and starboard, you see. Oh yes, it's the first time I've used locking stitch markers too, and I love them.
Knit a mile challenge starts tomorrow at 4pm!

No comments: