Saturday, January 12, 2008

Knit a mile progress week 1

All my knitting this week has been on the tilted duster. It started badly, when I spent the whole of Sunday afternoon / evening picking up stitches for the skirt and starting the increase section. Badly, because eventually I had to admit to myself that the pick up was too messy for me to live with. I had followed the Ready, Set, Knit instructions to increase stitches in the pick up row, but it took me four gos and still looked a mess. Finally I bit the bullet, and picked up the number of stitches that were naturally there, and handled the increases in the next row, where I could evenly space them. Much easier, and they are neater and less conspicuous.

One tip from RSK that did work was hanging a marker after each repeat of the pattern. This makes it a breeze to count rows. I'm now about halfway through the skirt section.



Now yarn used this week was 1 full ball of 160m, 28g of a second ball on the skirt (72g remaining), and 15g on the sleeves (140g remaining). The 43 odd g at 1.6m/g gives 68 m rounded down, so a full week's total of 228m.

Hmm. Not as much as I had airily thought I would do, and I had my usual amount of knitting time. Given a target of 1610m in 6 weeks, I need 268 m per week. So 40m short this week. My needles will need to be on fire next week, but the weekend is full of commitments and I'm travelling (I hate airports who ban knitting). Hmm.

No comments: