Tuesday, January 01, 2008

...and first cast on of 2008

I couldn't wait to start the Tilted Duster once I got my hands on the recommended Berroco Peruvia, but forced myself to set in sleeves, sew seams and weave in ends on Anise before I allowed myself to cast on.

I found out that it's easier to set in shallow sleeves than full set in sleeves, as you can still match them fairly easily. I also learned that it is well worth using a sturdy but thin yarn for seaming. Still way too many hours in the making up for my taste, but I'm pleased with the result and I've stashbusted a pleasing 900g (give or take some oddments).

It still needs the decorative buttons and press studs. I bought some buttons from Duttons but still need the functional studs. I find that press studs tend to pull on the knitting too much, but I'm not sure what I could use as an alternative.

For the tilted duster, I am following the Ready, Set, Knit KAL from Sep/ Oct. I've pondered the gauge a little here. I decided to use 5.5mm with a gauge of 16.5, which I figured would give me an extra inch on the designed size. However, after knitting an inch of the back, I was getting more like an extra four inches, so frogged and started anew with 5mm.

I should probably go to bed now...

No comments: