Saturday, August 25, 2007

Hipknits project club

I've signed up for the new Hipknits projects club. The idea is that you get a different project each quarter, learning or refining a different skill each time. I really like the concept, and it was the fair isle cardigan that sold me. The first project is a lace shawl. Unfortunately, the last thing I need at the moment is another lace project, but that's just the way the schedule works.

The first thing to say is that the cashmere yarn supplied is really fine. Much finer than any of the laceweight I have used before. It's 1500 yards to 100g - so that's really cobweb weight isn't it? No wonder it feels fine.

Then I struggled to find suitable needles. My standard Addis were just too blunt and kept snagging the yarn. My lovely KnitPicks don't go down to a small enough size. In the end, I bought some new Addi lace weight 3mm, and these work the best. I was a little disappointed as they had a burr on them, smelt brassy and have a pretty stiff cord, but they're still the best thing I have right now. At some point, I think I'll buy the KnitPicks fixed circulars in the small sizes.

The third thing is the charts. I like to work from charts, but I'm really struggling with this one. The notation is non standard, only a small part of the chart is shown, and the pattern repeat is not marked. All of this has given me a headache. I've tried to simplify the pattern by ignoring the partial patterns at the edge, but don't yet know if this is going to help. In all honesty, I'm not feeling the love on this one, but I will persevere.

So I strayed...onto yet another lace project. I started the Clementine Shawlette, which I've been planning for a while. I had some trouble getting hold of the Blue Skys Alpaca Silk, but having cast on, I love this yarn. I can't stop knitting this project, and it's all about the yarn. Yes, the chart is very clear too, but the yarn is gloriously tactile, and well worth the expense. I'm already starting the straight section of the shawl, having worked the increase section at one end.

Finally, I've updated the blog to use the layout feature in blogger. Not all the data converted properly, so bear with me while I fix it.

2 comments:

Twinkle Toes said...

Just read your problems with Della...

Drop me an email - I might be able to help.... promise :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, just read your stuff about HipKnits club shawl...how're you getting on now? (I'm quite relieved to find someone else being driven mad by it...I thought it was just me, all folks on the blog very helpful, but I seem to be the only one who's struggled!) I was a lace virgin before starting this same project, I had terrible trouble with the pattern (haven't used any lace charts before) spent most of the time ripping out and starting over... Have finally cracked it, but now the edge is driving me a bit crazy too, although now I'm more used to the chart/pattern it's a matter of counting then reverse counting...or that's my method of dealing with it! Would love to hear from you...don't have blog so have to remain 'anonymous' Fran
franmachardy@hotmail.com