Monday, June 11, 2007

Cast on for adventure

I know I should be completing those UFOs, but I couldn't resist casting on for a Noni Adventure bag. I vaguely thought this could be my commuter project, but seeing the size and weight of this already, it's not going to work. I'm using Rowan Yorkshire tweed chunky, and gaily cast on with 8mm without bothering to swatch, thinking, gauge doesn't really matter for felting, does it?

Hmm.

After 5 rows, it became apparent that the bag was going to be huge. I took out the tape measure and found my gauge was way off. I frogged. One gauge swatch and two needle size changes later, things looked a lot better.

Moral of the tale? Always swatch. Even when you don't 'need' to.

It's not going to make exciting blog fodder while in progress, but here's the first picture anyway.



Other news - Casey from Ravelry has told me I only have to wait another two weeks for admittance to the hallowed portal, so I'm counting down.

No comments: