Sunday, April 13, 2008

The M word!

Moths! A word to strike fear into the heart of every knitter, particularly one with a sizeable stash. We are suffering from a plague of moths in the house. I've bought up Robert Dyas' stock of mothballs and the house smells horrible, but anything to protect the wool! I found 3 moths munching through a ball of wool in a bag the other day - yuk!

The other big M story is of course the demise of Magknits. Like so many others, I have spent many hours this weekend finding the patterns I wanted and retrieving them from Wayback or Google archives. I found this really helpful post of links late in the day, but it may help you. I did manage to get most of what I wanted, and some of the designers have been fantastic in getting files up on Ravelry, or promising to do so soon. I really should have saved patterns as I saw them - I had a similar experience when the IK site deleted all its free features- but I didn't get around to it because each pattern needed to be formatted individually to be printable in the UK. Same issue with Knitty, although I once I get over all the formatting and retrieval I've done this weekend, I really should start to do the same thing with Knitty patterns.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I do hope you have contained the moth problem??? I have a really stupid (and I do mean INCREDIBLY dim, really really really...you know?) ginger cat, but the one thing he IS good at is catching moths...(the black and white cat just watches them, and seems to smile!) and I lazily rely on this and the lids on my see-thru plastic crates to keep the moths out of my yarn mountain...is this enough though? I am having nightmares! (and my son, whose father is a health and safety man, regularly quoted, says mothballs are no more, have been banned are dangerous....how are we supposed to keep the little B****Rs away now???)
<<< MUST KNIT FASTER! >>>....
More power to the fly-swat? Fran