Monday, February 05, 2007

Seeing in the dark

I always feel long drives in the dark are wasted, because I can't see to knit, and at this time of the year, it seems everytime we go anywhere, it's in the dark. I also dislike swatching, as I'm usually itching to get started on a new project. So on Saturday, I tried an experiment and swatched in the dark in the car. I figured that if I lost a stitch, it didn't matter, it was only a swatch. And it worked - I got the boring swatch done, and felt I'd used the car ride productively. I also bothered, for the first time, to put proper garter stitch borders around the swatch to make it easier to measure. I have to agree it is worth it.


The swatch is for Wicked, and I have resisted casting on for it, but I think the siren call will lure me tonight. I keep assuring DH that his woolly is coming on, but having frogged 20 rows of the sleeve last night, I don't think he is convinced.

3 comments:

Kris B said...

On my last anniversary my husband gave me a head light. They might be called head lamps in some areas. It is one of those lights that goes on your head. Hiking and camping stores usually carry them. DH says he got mine at a local Ace Hardware store. It works great and I use it all the time when I'm in dark places and want to knit.

Your probably don't need one. The swatch you did in the dark came out fine :).

rahime said...

I love that yarn! And I have a question - if knitting in the car didn't make you motion-sick, do you find you can read in the car? Either one makes me nauseated, and it feels like such a waste of time to not be able to read or knit.

Elspeth said...

Great idea. I think riding in a dark car might be like going to the movies (although it may be a bit lighter in the movies), and when I go to the movies I always bring a stockinette project with me (preferably circular) so I can knit without looking. But your swatch looks great. Good luck with the rest of the sweater!