Friday, July 14, 2006

Stitches per day

After the dash to the finish line on my tote, I have returned to my neglected lace shawl. I was rather afraid of the double decreases, but armed with clear instructions from the Interweave website, I found it was quite simple after all.
I'm not too happy with the tension; there isn't a very clear distinction between the background and the holes. Is this normal? Does it improve on blocking?
I think I may go down a needle size, even though I'm part way through the project.

I have done a couple of alarming calculations about how much I will have to knit to complete this by Labour Day. I'd actually prefer to complete it within a month, which means I would have to knit about 4 rows a day. Ok that's not too bad...except that the rows get longer, which means each day there is more work. To make it more even, I figure I have to knit 1073 stitches per day!

I've also learned why you have to add lifelines for lace knitting. I tried unknitting when I found an error, but it was just too difficult. I put my faith in the lifeline, closed my eyes, and ripped back. It worked, but I'm too depressed at having to knit back the 6 rows I just ripped.

6 comments:

Thea said...

It is amazing what blocking will do. The lace starts as a pile of dental floss and after blocking is breathtaking. Trust me on this. The holes will open up and every thing will even out. I am over halfway through the 4th chart of the Icarus shawl and have well over 400 stitches each row. Just make sure as you get further in the pattern that you allow at least 30 minutes for each row. This means get a drink, go to the bathroom and get a snack before starting a row. Enjoy the labor and be astounded by the result. Good luck and reward yourself every few rows by either working on something else or a piece of chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Hi from Sheri N. at The Amazing Lace. I made the Flower Basket Shawl for my lace project but it was really pretty small. It just fits my shoulders. Your lace is coming along beautifully. Hope you are enjoying The Amazing Lace. I am.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Thea, a good blocking will do the trick.
Just remember, every stitch counts, I am sure you will be done in time.
Btw, love your early bind off picture

silverarrowknits said...

I hear your pain with knitting several rows to finish on time. I have put my Amazing Lace shawl away for a few weeks, and I suddenly realized that the shawl doesn't knit itself.

Just keep thinking how proud you will be when you are done!

Good luck!

Kish said...

I understand your love of lifelines. I had just moved a lifeline (after debating it) and on the next row I had a mistake. I don't have the heart to take it out yet. I am going to try to tink back to the mistake if I can find it, but I got a bit mad and put it down for a few days. I am sure blocking it will take care of the holes issue. I have seen the difference between Thea's blocked and unblocked work, and it is amazing. Best of luck!

Sneaksleep said...

Thanks for the compliment on my Hanging Vines. I have been neglecting it this week, but I have a long train ride today that will give me plenty of time to make some progress.

I laughed at your stitches per day claculation. What Thea said is true. Though Hanging Vines will be my first finished lace project, everyone else I've known who has comepleted one says that the blocking absolutely makes the piece. Good luck!