Monday, July 03, 2006

Famous five go knitting

My faith in British holidays has been restored! After my disastrously wet and cold week in Norfolk, we picked the hottest weekend of the year for the SnB trip to the Isle of Wight! Now 30 degree celsius heat in non-air conditioned houses in the city is unbearable, but at the seaside with a cool breeze and hardly any people?... Bliss.

Five of us took a cottage belonging to a friend, and had a wonderful time. We ate, walked, ate, swam, ate, went to the pub, ate, sunbathed and ate. We're thinking of renaming the group the Stitch 'n' Scoff group (copyright Ellen). Throughout it all, we managed to knit and crochet (with the exception of while swimming - a little too much co-ordination required for that). One of the enduring images must be everyone lying back in their swimsuits in deckchairs, furiously knitting away! Who knows what onlookers thought; everyone was too polite to comment. It was great to be able to whip out the knitting at any time, and for no-one to think you were weird.

Only one finished object this weekend - Helena's sock:



But Ellen finished half her Vogue shell, and is modelling it here:



Caterina and Lucy were crocheting the same shawl pattern:





And I kept going with Picovoli, as well as casting on for a Koigu scarf:


A few fantastic scenery shots:




The food was just as appealing. Here's the fantastic locally caught crab:

3 comments:

Kish said...

That looks like you had such a wonderful time. What a perfect way to spend some time off! I have started on my second pair of socks and like them even better :). I also wear my other ones all the time. What color and yarn are you using for the Picovili? I have that on my project list.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

That WAS the life, wasn't it?

We must do it again, soon! September?

But before that, I shall keep my promise of homemade pizza!

Lots of love

Caterina

Anonymous said...

Fond memories - it all seems so long ago now! I've started on the second sock (again!) and the Kidsilk Haze wrap is now getting the beads down the edges, well ahead of schedule. And I've been inspired to start my own version of Lucy and Caterina's crochet shawl....