Saturday, May 05, 2007

Bleeding Cherry Tree Hill

I bought some CTH supersock some months ago, including some nice deep colourways. Listening to Lixie Knits It podcast, I found out that this yarn can fade badly. I'm thinking of starting my CTH shawl after Sahara, so was concerned to hear this. I decided I'd better prewash the deeper colours, but not to bother with the pastels. So I soaked them, and sure enough the green skeins started to give up a lot of dye.

Next step was the vinegar bath:



And even after that and two rinses, here's the water:


I am not impressed. The yarn is expensive, and I'm disappointed that I have to treat it myself. Thank goodness for Lixie or I would have found out after knitting a multicoloured shawl, and ended up with a muddy mess. Still might I suppose, but hopefully it will stop bleeding now.

No comments: