Saturday, November 11, 2006

Visit to iknit

I went to iknit on Thursday night, the newest knitting shop in London. The shop has great opening hours for normal working knitters, opening until 9pm or 11pm in the week, and open all day Saturday and Sunday. This is a real contrast to the other recent openings, which have highly restricted hours only suitable for those who don't have to work to support their yarn habit!

The shop is a little tricky to find, but is on a lovely leafy square, and is very welcoming. Craig and Gerard somehow manage to hold down full time jobs in addition to running the shop, and there were assorted knitters relaxing and knitting when I visited.

There is a good range of different brands, including hand dyed yarns. The only difficulty is that the quantities and colours stocked are quite limited, making it difficult to buy sufficient yarn for larger projects. Great for socks, scarves and bags though, and they will always order a particular colour if you want it.

I had been after some Colinette Prism for a jacket, but unfortunately they had one less skein than I needed, so instead I opted for a couple of different coloured skeins for scarves. Prism is lovely to knit with, and nice and quick, so may come in handy if I need any emergency Christmas gifts. I also succumbed to some sock yarn, a much needed needle gauge and some beads.

No comments: