Saturday, September 02, 2006

Summer knitting status

As September dawns, and the weather is grey and wet, it feels like time to wrap up the summer projects, and start to think about big, woolly projects for the winter.
[Edit - it's got sunny again - hurrah!]

Summer projects still on the needles are:


  • Amazing lace shawl
    I took this on holiday, but didn't feel like working on it, so it has returned without a single stitch added. I'm going to put this one aside and perhaps pull it out again in a couple of months. I'll be satisfied if I finish it before next summer.


  • Tempting 2
    Nearly finished, just the neckband to go, although reading the KAL comments, it is likely to need re-knitting a couple of times to get the fit right.


  • Vogue silk aran vest
    This is a pattern from this summer's Vogue, which I adapted to use aran yarn. I'm finding it quite difficult to knit with the silk, as it has so little elasticity, and my gauge in the garment is different from my swatch. I've also frogged and re-knit part of the body twice, and I find the silk tends to wear and shed fibres when I do this. I like the colour of the yarn and the subtle variation.
    This is my active project and I'm going to reach the tricky neckline with crossover straps soon. Some thought needed on how to alter for the gauge I have.


  • Vogue multidirectional wrap
    Started in a fit of enthusiasm in Norfolk, and neglected ever since! I find the cotton boucle hard to knit, so have left this to one side.

  • Koigu chevron scarf
    Again, on hold, although I really like this one, so will hopefully get back to it soon.



And dipping a toe (literally) into autumn, I've started my first pair of socks. I'm knitting on 2.25mm needles, which is much smaller than I normally use, so I think this pair is going to feature as a work in progress on the blog for a long time.

3 comments:

Thea said...

Your sock cuff looks good, what yarn is it? I am going to start another pair of socks, but I don't know which yarn from the stash to use next.

Kish said...

Boy have you been a busy bee! Your work looks really good. I like the colors in the sock. How is knitting coming with the smaller needles. I actually find that I finish socks much faster than I would think, because you can see the progress go so quickly. I hear what you are saying about the silk. The camisole I worked on had silk blended into it, and it didn't have much give, which made it somewhat more difficult to get used to working with. Everything looks really nice. Keep up the good work!

smug sheep said...

I'm using wool from the handdyed studio. I've bought quite a few skeins, so expect to see it popping up in future!