Friday, September 01, 2006

Scandinavian stash

Just back from a lovely tour of the Nordic countries. My DH demonstrated a hitherto undiscovered talent for finding wool shops (inadvertently), which added to the pleasure of the trip. I wanted to buy locally produced wool in each place, and did pretty well.

In Denmark, I bought local boucle and plain mohair, and managed to complete a shawl while still on holiday.



In Sweden, there was a downpour while we were in the wool shop, which meant that I stayed longer and bought more than I should. Hand dyed purple Swedish wool, then some branded mohair and novelty yarns - not strictly necessary, but brands that are not seen much in the UK.



In Finland, we found a wonderful stall selling wool, mittens, hats, scarves etc. They even had kits for knitting your own traditional mittens. I bought enough local wool for 2 jumpers, a scarf and a pair of socks, all in natural shades of beige and grey.



In Estonia, some red wool for a jumper, and some multicoloured roving for a felted bag.



As you might imagine, it was very difficult to close the suitcases on the way back! DH was kept sweet only by the promise of a jumper from the Finnish wool.

I really, really don't need to buy any more wool now. Must resist and get on with using some of the stash.

No comments: