Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cables in progress

I should have followed that instinct that DH's jumper was working out too big. I knitted about 35 rounds, waiting until the cable pattern was established, then slipped the work off the needles and measured it. It was about a foot too large! I was pretty mystified, as my gauge measured exactly right. Closer inspection of the pattern revealed that my gauge was correct for stocking stitch, but I had knit the sample in pattern. Still doesn't explain the sheer scale of the mismatch. Back to basics, and a calculator. We decided to maintain the number of cables but make them 10 stitches wide instead of 12. My DH was quite traumatised at seeing 3 whole balls of his sweater in progress being frogged.

I think I'm back on track now, with 2 1/2 pattern repeats completed. It's easy TV knitting, and the texture of the cable works well with the soft, lofty yarn.

cable guy 1

The Noni bag has been on the backburner. I had completed a couple of the tulips that decorate the front, but they're quite fiddly and require lots of seaming, and I haven't felt like tackling that.

tulip 1

No comments: