Monday, May 07, 2007

Computer surgery

Major crisis with the laptop this week! I accidentally hit the Dell media button instead of the on/ off button, and this caused the whole operating system to implode. I seem to remember when I first learned to use a computer that we were told we could hit any key, and we couldn't break the computer. Not true!


After several hours of rebooting, trying safe mode, trying to boot from disk and finally re-installing Windows, we gave up. I've spent much of the weekend shuttling back and forth to the computer doctor, who managed to retrieve the data files. We then had to have a full factory reset. Touch wood, it's working again now, but needless to say, I'm keen to tape over the button that caused the problem.




On the knitting front, I'm making progress with Sahara. I knitted the lace neck edging before finishing the length, as I just couldn't assess how much it would ride up until the neckline was done. The lace is slightly fiddly, but the key is just to keep counting and checking on the increase rows. I picked up a stitch every second row, and did four repeats of the lace pattern instead of three.


No comments: